February 26, 2005

THE EARLY YEARS

It was around 1987 or '88, I was young and working construction. I rode bulls on the weekends to try to make some extra money however, I knew I wasn't good enough to go Pro. It was fun and a good way to pass time. Now I had been riding for several years and never been hurt to bad, but here lately my back was starting to hurt a little. I put it off as a hard days work and went about my business. Then one day I go to my Doctor for a check up and I tell him my back has been sore and he orders up a x-ray. Oops...Not one but two broken vertebrates in my lower back, Doc said that they had been broken for quite some time and that there wasn't anything he could do for it. However Doc did tell me to quit the Rodeo Scene immediately. That was easier said then done.

In 1989 or '90, a young bull gets my number. The bull, Rocket, short, fast and meaner than Hell. We come out of the chute into a fast flat spin to the left, all is going good until I lose my right foot. This tips me forward into the the spin and I hang up. Just as I get my feet, Rocket throws a twist that brings his rear legs down on mine. I go to the ground and the 1100 lbs. Rocket lands on me and roles over me.

I remember thinking that didn't hurt too bad, and I started to get up from my face down prone position. Nothing worked, my arms, my legs, nothing. Oh shit, I did it, I went and broke my back for good. Why didn't I listen to Doc and stop. Then as fast as it went away my feeling came back. I slowly rolled over onto my back. There were guys around saying don't move let us get some help. I sat up and told them I was fine, picked up my gear, popped a top on a Budweiser and never got on another bull. I miss it everyday.
Somewhere in my head and heart, I thought someday, maybe I will go Pro, it was all over now. Not only did I leave the bulls behind but also a lot of good friends. It was just to hard to hang around the rodeo and not ride. Construction was still the main income and I knew I didn't want that to be my career choice. So I made a change...Sales Rep, I'm not a very good sales person.
My wife, Tamara was ready to leave me and told me I had better figure out what I was going to do with my life. I came to her one day and told her I was going to the Police Academy. Not a good day at the casa.

2 Comments:

Blogger Jack said...

Heh heh heh.

March 14, 2005 9:51 PM  
Blogger Wanting said...

...I always wanted to barrel race...broke my arm off my horse at 15...it's true what they say...get right back on...I never did. I hate to say it, tho...bull riding is my favorite to watch...glad you're ok...

April 27, 2005 7:04 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home